For years the Smart Home has promised to enrich the lives of consumers and has inspired waves of manufacturer innovation such as smart speakers, intelligent thermostats and much more. While these innovations have offered incremental improvement in our home lives, the consumer reality has been a deluge of devices and services, greater complexity, and less security. In truth, the Smart Home remains elusive, the problems it intends to solve unclear. Only when manufacturers reach beyond devices and services with purpose-driven “Smart Living” solutions at home will this market cross the chasm to rapid market growth.
This neXt Curve research was conducted in collaboration with Martin Kienzle and Cristene Gonzalez-Wertz of IBM and William Thomas of Empathetic Machines. It explores the challenges and opportunities that IoT device manufacturers face in the fast-evolving Smart Home space and the need for a solution mindset to unleash the promise of Smart Living.
In this report, we cover the following topics regarding Smart Living:
- The market
- Adoption hurdles
- Framework for Smart Living
- Recommendations for both integrating business & technology strategy and pursuing privacy & security
Download the full research paper by clicking on the link below:
Listen to our reThink Podcast. Please leave your comments and questions.
For more insights on neXt Curve’s 5G Evolution & IoT End Market research themes contact us for a detailed briefing with one of our analysts. Follow our site to get updates and notifications of our research and our 2020 research agenda.
Related Content & Media
- Market Insight: The Fight for 5G Superiority will be Fought in the Cloud
- The Democratization of 5G Everything
- Contextually-Aware Mobile Security-as-a-Service: the Key to IoT Security and GDPR Compliance and Readiness with Blockchain
- Want to Get Value Out of IoT? Stop Talking About IoT
- The Future of Cloud
- Digital Reinvention – Part 1: What Makes Digital Reinvention Different?
- Digital Reinvention: Part 2 – How Do Organizations Get Ready for Digital Reinvention?
- Digital Reinvention – Part 3 : What Comes After Digital Reinvention?
- Three electronics industry strategies for the new data economy -IBM IBV
- Electronics Industrial IoT cybersecurity: As strong as its weakest link – IBM IBV
- The Experience Revolution – IBM
Managing Director, neXt Curve
Electronics Industry Leader, IBM Research
Research Director, IBM Institute for Business Value, Electronics + Environment, Energy & Utilities
February 25, 2019
This material may not be copied, reproduced, or modified in whole or in part for any purpose except with express written permission or license from an authorized representative of neXt Curve. In addition to such written permission or license to copy, reproduce, or modify this document in whole or part, an acknowledgement of the authors of the document and all applicable portions of the copyright notice must be clearly referenced.
© 2020 neXt Curve. All rights reserved.