Though delayed a 3-month delay due to the novel coronavirus, Release 16 of the 3GPP 5G specifications are frozen and complete. It has been much touted as the first fully or real 5G release as it introduces functions such as standalone 5G-NR that wean it off of 4G radio and core technologies.
- What is a releases and what is the 3GPP specification process? – The 3GPP specification process is complex and generally misunderstood even in the industry. Prakash shares his insights as a 3GPP member on what the process looks like and how the standards for mobile wireless technologies evolve.
- How does Release 16 fit in the evolution of 5G? – 5G is an evolution, not a sudden revelation in the advancement of mobile wireless technology. Leonard and Prakash discuss what Release 16 means in the context of the broader maturation of 5G over the next decade.
- What does Release 16 mean for the ICT industry? – Release 16 is considered a “special” release that will bring about a comprehensive specification for 5G. What does that mean for the ICT industry and the progression of 5G implementation and end market value?
- What can we expect beyond Release 16? – There will be several more release of what will be dubbed 5G specifications over the course of the next 8 to 10 years. What can we expect next after Release 16? 6G?
For more insights on neXt Curve’s 5G technology and end market research themes contact us for a detailed briefing with one of our analysts. Follow our site to get updates and notifications of our research and our 2020 research agenda.
Related Content & Media
- 3GPP Rel. 16-Stage set for the next phase of 5G, but who is leading? – Prakash Sangam. Tantra Analyst
- Facebook’s Reliance Jio investments gives it the front seat to Indian digital transformation – Prakash Sangam, Tantra Analyst
- Integrated Tools for the Hybrid Operation of the Evolving 5G Infrastructure
- COVID-19 Pandemic: the Crucible of 5G Innovation and Leadership
- Market Insight: The Fight for 5G Superiority will be Fought in the Cloud
- The Democratization of 5G Everything
Managing Director, neXt Curve
Founder and Principal Analyst, Tantra Analyst
July 18, 2020
This material may not be copied, reproduced, or modified in whole or in part for any purpose except with express written permission or license from an authorized representative of neXt Curve. In addition to such written permission or license to copy, reproduce, or modify this document in whole or part, an acknowledgement of the authors of the document and all applicable portions of the copyright notice must be clearly referenced.
© 2020 neXt Curve. All rights reserved.